No Depression: Winter 2022
Winter 2022 also features the launch of a new position — the musical guest editor! Singer, songwriter, and country-rock star Margo Price kicks off this inaugural post by contributing a personal essay and helping devise a topic for one of the stories featured in the issue.
Included in this issue:
- Hawktail and the history of broadsheets and sheet music
- Renewed interest in the late folksinger Norma Tanega, based on the usage of her song in the popular television show What We Do in the Shadows
- How the Norwegian Hayde Bluegrass Ensemble translates and interprets Appalachian music in Scandinavia
- Inside the forthcoming Hazel & Alice reissues from Smithsonian Folkways
- The relaunch of Antone’s Records and the new album by blues pioneer Angela Strehli
- A look into the new folk instrumentalists (featuring Eli Winter, Yasmin Williams, and more)
- The history and contemporary reinterpretations of boleros (featuring iLe and Adrian Quesada of The Black Pumas)
- The Black Legacy Project
... And so much more!
- Original design by Marcus Amaker
- Original cover art by Benjamin Rumble
- Original art by John Mellencamp