Known as the godfather of the first British folk revival, Ewan MacColl is hailed for writing such classic songs as "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," "Dirty Old Town," "The Shoals of Herring" and "The Joy of Living." JOY OF LIVING: A TRIBUTE TO EWAN MACCOLL is an flawlessly formed centenary tribute to the multi-talented artist from MacColl’s two sons, Calum and Neill.
This 2-CD set features new interpretations of MacColl’s songs from artists who span the worlds of pop, rock, and folk. Rather than trying to be a definitive collection, it provides a testament to the range and influence of this remarkable singer and songwriter.
Highlights include Steve Earle’s take on “Dirty Old Town,” Norma Waterson’s peerless rendition of the plight of the travelers in “The Moving On Song,” Paul Buchanan’s (Blue Nile) crooning “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face,” Bombay Bicycle Club’s moving version of “The Young Birds” and Rufus & Martha Wainwright’s performance of “Sweet Thames Flow Softly.”
Additional contributors are many—evidence of MacColl’s far-reaching influence– and include such impressive names as Paul Brady, Billy Bragg, Eliza Carthy, Martin Carthy, Damien Dempsey, Dick Gaughan, David Gray, Christy Moore, Karine Polwart, and Martin Simpson.
Joy of Living: A Tribute to Ewan MacColl pays homage to this fearless, uncompromising character whose influence is still felt not only within but far beyond the folk world.
- Schooldays Over (Damien Dempsey)
- I’m Champion At Keeping ‘Em Rolling (Martin Carthy)
- Cannily, Cannily (The Unthanks)
- The Shoals Of Herring (Seth Lakeman)
- The Exile Song (Marry Waterson)
- The Young Birds (Jack Steadman & Jamie MacColl - Bombay Bicycle Club)
- Jamie Foyers (Dick Gaughan)
- Thirty-Foot Trailer (Eliza Carthy)
- My Old Man (Chaim Tannenbaum)
- Dirty Old Town (Steve Earle)
- The Battle Is Done With (Jarvis Cocker)
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Paul Buchanan)
- Freeborn Man (Paul Brady)
- Moving On Song (Norma Waterson)
- The Terror Time (Karine Polwart)
- The Father’s Song (Martin Simpson)
- The Compañeros (Christy Moore)
- Kilroy Was Here (Billy Bragg)
- Sweet Thames, Flow Softly (Rufus & Martha Wainwright)
- Alone (Kathryn Williams)
- The Joy Of Living (David Gray)